Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Dio Shrugged???"

When heavy-metal singer Ronnie James Dio died of cancer last year, would-be Objectivist leader Lindsay Perigo, reveling in the occassion, had this to say:

Sandi

Lindsay Perigo's picture

By the way, you must remember to have a listen to Ronnie James Dio. He was the rocker who passed away today and one of your younger callers really wanted you to have a listen to him.

As it happens, I *must* do no such thing. I did, however, and all I can say is I'm sorry he didn't pass away sooner. Horrible, anti-life garbage. A "singer" he ain't!! I don't begin to understand why you or anyone else would commend such shit to my attention.

????!!!!

Why indeed? From slate.com:

Atlas Shrugged: Part I, the new cinematic adaptation of Ayn Rand's multimillion-selling novel, ends with a long list of special thanks. The producers thank the Club for Growth, the organization that helps liberal Republicans spend more time with their families; FreedomWorks, the non-Koch-funded Tea Party group; the Atlas Society, a think tank that promotes Rand's ideas and legacy; and Ronnie James Dio. The late singer for Elf, Rainbow, and Black Sabbath, one of the founding banshees of heavy metal, was one of the people who kept the project alive.

Hrrm...I didn't see Perigo's name in the credits; it looks like Ronnie is having the last laugh, while Perigo is "the last in line..."

Ah, the irony...I personally had no idea of such a connection (move over, Neil Peart...), but as a fan of both Rand and Dio, it's a pleasant surprise; I'll have to learn more about this, now. I do have to kick myself, though, for not catching it as I sat through the credits...well, that's it, I'll have to go see it again...

7 comments:

  1. BAH! PERIGO!

    I found this interesting. I'm also a Dio fan, and I was really surprised to find out that he supported the production of Atlas Shrugged Part 1. But I'm curious about this support, was it financial, emotional, etc?

    Did you find anything more about Dio's association with the movie or, even better, Objectivism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kyle. I haven't done any hard research on the Dio connection, just some light google searches...so far, nuthin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I haven't found any thing either. Still, I find this really interesting; I also liked your picture of Dio holding a copy of AS.

    I'm just curious to know what Dio got from AS. What did he like about it? That's what I want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here we are, a year from the last comment on this post I only just now found, that means so much to me. I've loved Ronnie for a very long time (despite being only 22,) and recently, I started not just listening to, but analyzing his lyrics in a way I previously hadn't. I never knew he had a connection with Objectivism, but decided to google it BECAUSE of his lyrics that reminded me so much of the concept that I find important. And here I find this. I don't know if anyone remembers from the Fountainhead when Roark "gives the child the courage to face a lifetime," but finding out about Ronnie's involvement after A. Loving his work and treating him as a role model, B. Carefully analyzing his seemingly esoteric lyrics, and C. Fearing the assumption that my precious musical artist would have the OPPOSITE opinion (a negative view of Rand, if any,) has just had that effect on me. I recently moved to Seattle, and I have started taking some courses at a community college, where the only things actively enforced in class seem to be regular practices in irrationality, Marxism, and lectures that, REGARDLESS of the subject, promote any and all forms of self-sacrifice that their "creativity" can conjure. I just this moment found this article. I just before this moment practically felt like resigning. I no longer do. Why..?
    "Chains don't make a wall,
    And dreams lay where they fall
    But dark is never night
    When dreams make up the light" -RJD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spencer, thanks for the comment.

      As for your classes: "Illegitimi non carborundum."

      Delete